Register your Surron, Talaria, or E Ride to be legal in Utah!

If you’re a proud owner of a new electric motorcycle (Surron, Talaria, E Ride Pro, etc) and you reside in Utah, you might be wondering about the process of getting it registered. Although they are often called "e-bikes", they are not pedal assist and not street legal out of the box. This guide will walk you through the steps to ensure your bike is street-legal and compliant with Utah’s regulations.

Understanding the Basics

First, it’s important to determine the classification. In Utah, vehicles are classified based on their intended use and features. Most #emoto's typically fall into the category of an off-highway vehicle (OHV) just like a KTM or Honda dirt bike, but modifications can make it suitable for street use (like adding turn signals and a working brake light)

Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Registration

If you plan to use your Surron primarily for off-road adventures, you need to register it as an OHV. Our starting point is here for In-State OHV Registration details and here for the DMV process:

1. Obtain an OHV Title (form TC-656). Visit your local Utah Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office to get your bike titled as an OHV. Typically, you’ll need to provide proof of ownership, such as a bill of sale or manufacturer’s certificate of origin. Some electric motorcycles, such as Surron and Electric Motion come with an MCO from the dealer). Other brands like Talaria and E Ride Pro do not come with an MCO. You can attempt to use your receipt if you ordered online. Fill out the OHV registration application form available at the DMV or online on the Utah DMV website.

2. If your bike is used or you have owned if for a while, you'll also need a Certificate of Inspection (form TC-661) purchased new, this part is typically not needed.

3. Pay the Fees: OHV registration fees can vary based on the vehicle’s weight and intended use. The starting point for fees is currently $35 for the decal + $18 for the "uniform statewide age-based fee"

4. Once registered, you’ll receive an OHV sticker, which must be displayed on your bike at all times when riding off-road. Sometime the person working the DMV counter is confused and will try to push a plate on you. Remember they register Harley's and street bikes for road use daily, so this is not surprising. This is a good reminder to clarify that you are getting an OHV sticker for a "dirt bike". You 100% do not need a plate because the bike is not street legal.

Converting Your e-bike for Street Use

If you want to ride your Surron on public roads, you’ll need to make sure it meets Utah’s street-legal requirements. This involves several steps:

1. Modify Your Surron: Ensure your Surron has the necessary equipment to be street-legal. This typically includes:
• Headlights and tail lights
• Brake lights
• Turn signals
• Rearview mirrors
• Horn
• Speedometer
• DOT-approved tires

2. Get an Inspection: Your modified Surron must pass a safety inspection. You can have this done at any state-certified inspection station. The inspector will check that all required equipment is properly installed and functioning.

3. Obtain a Title and Registration: With the inspection certificate, visit your local DMV to apply for a street-legal title and registration. You’ll need to provide the inspection certificate, proof of ownership, and a completed application form.
4. Pay the Fees: Registration fees for street-legal motorcycles in Utah are different from OHV fees. Make sure to check the current rates on the DMV website.
5. Display the License Plate: Once registered, you’ll receive a license plate. Attach this plate to your Surron in accordance with Utah’s regulations.

Important Considerations

• Insurance: Ensure you have the proper insurance coverage for your Surron if you plan to ride it on public roads. Utah law requires liability insurance for all street-legal vehicles.
• Local Regulations: Some cities and counties in Utah may have additional requirements or restrictions for street-legal OHVs. Check with local authorities to ensure compliance.
• Renewal: Keep track of your yearly renewal. You'll typically get a letter in the mail.

Registering your Surron in Utah, whether for off-road use or street-legal operation, involves a few key steps. By ensuring your Surron meets the necessary requirements and completing the registration process, you can enjoy your electric dirt bike on both trails and roads with peace of mind. For the most current information and specific details, always refer to the Utah DMV’s official website or contact your local DMV office. Happy riding!

Leave a comment

All comments are moderated before being published